If you give your kids cartoned juice for the nutrients, you would be better off giving them Froot Loops.
Of course, giving your kids Froot Loops every day would teach them the wrong habits, and it would get their taste buds used to too much sugar, but that’s the point.
Most 100% apple, grape, punch and other supposedly “kid-friendly” blends have around 3g of sugar per ounce.
For a point of reference, Coke has 3.25g of sugar per ounce.
True, Juicy Juice is made from juice concentrate – a natural sugar — but your kids’ taste buds can’t tell the difference.
- According to the USDA, juice concentrate is a euphemism for added sugar. In other words, sugar is sugar.
- 100% juice may give your children 100% of their Vitamin C needs, but that’s only because the Vitamin C has been added. In other words, it’s fortified sugar.
To drive the point home, here are 8 other delicacies that have less sugar than shop bought juice.
Some of these treats have vitamins, and others have less desirable tidbits such as fat and calories, but here is how the sugar stacks up compared to the 20-23g of sugar in the typical Juicy Juice box…
1) Juice Drinks: Capri Sun Original fruit drinks have only 13g of sugar per 6 once pouch. Even 8 ounces of Sunny D has only 14g.
2) Sweetened Cereals: A bowl of Fruity Pebbles has 12g of sugar.
3) Fruit Leather: One pouch of Stretch Island Fruit Leather, Apple flavor, has 9g of sugar.
4) Popsicles: One Orange Cherry or Grape Popsicle has 7g of sugar.
5) Pop-Tarts: One Kellogs Pop-Tart Cinnamon Roll has 13g of sugar.
6) Cereal Bars: Kellogg’s Nutri-Grain Mixed Berry Bar has 12g of sugar.
7) Donuts: One Dunkin’ Donuts Strawberry Frosted Donut has 11g of sugar.
8) Flavored Water: One pouch of Capri Sun Roarin’ Waters has 8g of sugar. (Isn’t that a lot for water?)
Guess what? Even some chocolate beats juice in the sugar department…
7 Caramel-Filled Hershey’s Kisses have 18g of sugar. One Reese’s Peanut Butter Big Cup has 20g of sugar.
Kids naturally love sweet tastes, but you don’t need to encourage it.
If your kids have a limited palate, especially when it comes to veggies, I recommend you look to juice as a hidden culprit.
In fact, juice is one of the easiest places to clean up your kids’ eating act.
Most parents keep their eye on their children’s sugar consumption, but look in the wrong places.
Even though my family loves juice, I have to say: if you wouldn’t serve your kids Froot Loops on a daily basis, remember that juice is worse. Not only does it generally replace water, but it gives your kids the wrong idea about what is healthy.
Most of all, juice trains (and trains again) your kids’ taste buds to enjoy the flavor they already love – sweet.
So teach your kids to use juice like the candy it is (sparingly and as a treat) and you’ll be teaching them the habits they need for a lifetime of healthy eating. In the short run, weaning your kids off sugar might just help them open up to broccoli too. Read Ways to Wean Your Juice-Fiend.
~Discover your families own path to healthy eating happiness~
Froot Loops: https://smartlabel.kelloggs.com/en_US/Product/Index/00038000017674
Coca Cola: https://www.coca-colacompany.com/faqs/how-much-sugar-is-in-coca-cola
Capri Sun Fruit Punch: https://parents.caprisun.com/kid-juice-drinks/juicedrink/juicedrink-00087684001073#id_pdpNutritionContainer
Sunny D: https://sunnyd.com/flavors/tangy-original/
Fruity Pebbles: https://www.postpebblescereal.com/products/fruity-pebbles/
Stretch Island Apple Fruit Leather: https://stretchislandfruit.com/products/200-2/
Popsicle Orange Cherry & Grape: https://smartlabel.unileverusa.com/077567121202-0002-en-US/index.html
Pop-Tarts Cinnamon Roll: https://smartlabel.kelloggs.com/Product/Index/00038000232671
Kellogg’s Nutri-Grain Mixed Berry Bar: https://smartlabel.kelloggs.com/Product/Index/00038000355219
Dunkin’ Donuts Strawberry Frosted Donut: https://dunkin.at/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/DD_Ingredients_Donuts.pdf
Capri Sun Roarin’ Waters: https://parents.caprisun.com/kid-juice-drinks/roaringwaters/roaringwaters-00087684002872#id_pdpNutritionContainer
Hershey’s Kisses: https://smartlabel.hersheys.com/00034000133994-0010
Reese’s Peanut Butter Big Cup: https://smartlabel.hersheys.com/00034000001637-0005
All websites accessed and reviewed 01.03.2021.